Norra Latin, the secondary grammar school, was
inaugurated in 1880. Just over 100 years later the school was closed
and the classrooms remodelled into meeting rooms. When the renovations
were concluded Norra Latin was opened up as a conference centre in
1989. All rooms have big windows and access to required technology. The
light halls can be used for coffee breaks, dinner buffets or parties.
Traditional school with its own atmosphere
Latin was inaugurated in the autumn of 1880 in the presence of King
Oscar II and the archbishop. For more than a hundred years the building
functioned as a school and trained many students in the classics. At
first it was a boys' school, but in 1961 girls gained admittance too.
In the 1960s ballet lessons were introduced in which famous names such
as Anneli Alhanko participated. Following the renovation, Norra Latin
was inaugurated anew in 1989 and has since functioned as a conference
centre. During 2004-2005 Norra Latin has gone through another full
The building was designed by the architect Helgo
Zettervall in the renaissance style of Flanking the central stairway
are two atriums with glass ceilings. The former gym hall is today known
as the Pillar Hall and is one of the largest rooms in the building. The
Auditorium still features the original thirteen-part organ. This has
been repaired and was inaugurated again on 24 August 1997.
Artworks at Norra Latin
Latin houses a unique art collection. The southern atrium on the
entrance floor is dominated by Prince Eugen's monumental painting "Den
ljusa natten" from 1899. The Auditorium's semi-circular extension
features the Prince's painting "Sommar" from 1904. On the second floor
of the southern atrium you can admire Carl Larsson's fresco
"Skolgossarnas korum" from 1901. On the floor above is Bruno Liljefors'
"Sträckande svanar" from 1900. In the opposite side of the building, in
the northern atrium, is Axel Törneman's mural "Engelbrekt vid Arboga
riksdag", which is the full-scale drawing for one the murals at
Riksdagshuset. Norra Latin also displays art by Eugéne Jansson, Otto
Hesselbom and Hildur Hult. Many of the paintings are portraits of
1900's most well-known workers' poets such as Ivar Lo Johansson, Harry
Martinsson and Eyvind Johnsson.
Even modern artists are
represented in Norra Latin. After the interior renovation of the
building in 2004-2005 the dining rooms are decorated with newer items
from the collections. For example one of the rooms has paintings of the
popular Swedish artist Peter Dahl, while as one of the other shows
burlesque portraits of Generals by the Italian Enrico Baj.
Address: Drottningatan 71B
Number of venues: 30
Largest venue: 400 pers
Smallest venue: 12 persCapacity / Plans »Venues